Are donations to ADF Foundation tax deductible?
- Gifts are tax deductible to the extent allowed by law. ADF Foundation is recognized by the IRS as a ministry exempt from taxation under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Service Code. We are not a private foundation, and we continue to operate as a publicly supported organization as described in IRC Sections 509(a)(1) and 170(b)(1)(A)(vi).
What is the difference between Alliance Defending Freedom and
- Alliance Defending Freedom (ADF) exists to keep the doors open for the Gospel by advocating for religious liberty, the sanctity of human life, freedom of speech, and marriage and family. After years of prayer and intensive planning, the ADF Board of Directors established ADF Foundation with the goal both to facilitate legacy and tax-advantaged gifts and to establish an endowment fund as an ongoing source of income to support the work of ADF for generations to come. Financial security, flexibility, and means to maintain its operations and respond to sudden opportunities without impacting its annual budget or needed reserves. ADF Foundation was established as an independent non-profit to better protect the endowment resources entrusted to the Foundation for the support of ADF. As God blesses this endowment, ADF will have more.
- With regard to financial and legal distinctions: ADF is incorporated in the Commonwealth of Virginia. ADF Foundation is incorporated in the state of Arizona. Both ADF and ADF Foundation operate as nonprofit religious organizations under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code (the Code) and are publicly supported organizations under Sections 170(b)(1) and 509(a) of the Code. Neither ADF nor ADF Foundation are considered to be private foundations under Section 509(a) of the Code
- Do you ever share my name or contact information?
- ADF Foundation will never sell, rent, or make available your name for purposes not related to our mission of supporting Alliance Defending Freedom.
- Where can I view your financials?
- Copies of our consolidated financial statements (consolidated with Alliance Defending Freedom) and independent financial audit can be viewed on the Alliance Defending Freedom website here, and copies of our Form 990 are available upon request.
- How can a make a stock gift or other gift of securities?
- Specific directions are available on our website here.
How can I add ADF Foundation to my estate plan?
- Specific instructions, including sample language, are provided on our website here for a variety of bequest and beneficiary designation scenarios.
Do donations to ADF Foundation from my IRA (also called, Qualified
Charitable Distributions—QCD) provide me with a tax benefit?
- In most situations, if you qualify to make a charitable distribution from your IRA (age 70 ½), a donation from your IRA to ADF Foundation can help meet your required minimum distribution (if applicable) and is excluded from your taxable income. However, always check with your tax advisor with regard to your specific tax situation.
- If you choose to make a donation to ADF Foundation from your IRA, you will usually only need to provide our name and address (ADF Foundation, 15100 N. 90th Street, Scottsdale, AZ 85260) and occasionally our Tax ID Number (86-1158500) and phone number (480-444-0020). However, please also request that your name be included in the memo in of your IRA check, so that it does not show up as an anonymous gift when we receive it. Also, please call us or email us to let us know about the IRA gift you are sending, so we can be sure to identify the gift and credit it to your name. You will receive an acknowledgement letter from ADF Foundation confirming that your IRA gift was received within 7-10 days of our receipt of the gift.
- Additional information on donations from your IRA is also provided on our website here.
I asked my broker to transfer shares of stock or send you an IRA
check. How can I be sure you received it?
- If you received notification from your broker that the gift of securities has left your account or your IRA check has been mailed, but you have not received an acknowledgement from us within 7-10 days of that notification, please feel free to give us a call at 480-444-0020 or email us at email@example.com.